Gender Summit 4 - Europe 2014, 30 June - 01 July, Brussels, Belgium
|with the participation of|
From Ideas to Markets: Excellence in mainstreaming gender into research, innovation, and policy
2014 will see the return of the Gender Summit to Brussels for the Gender Summit 4 - Europe (GS4EU). The GS4EU will, again, bring together experts from research, industry and policy to jointly establish practical and effective ways of improving quality and impact of research and innovation through the inclusion of gender in science knowledge making and application. The Programme will focus on strategies, tools, and processes that promote the concrete integration of the gender dimension into the European Commission's current Horizon 2020, and European Research Area programmes. The Summit's Themes and Tracks will focus on the cross-cutting role of gender and how gender has been and should be integrated within some of the major themes of the Horizon 2020 Work Programme, such as personalised health, water resources, energy, environment, transportation.
Speakers and participants will examine the latest research evidence and showcase studies and projects, organisations and strategies that have significantly improved research and innovation quality by integrating the gender dimension into research design and process. The GS4EU will expand on the body of the research evidence introduced in previous summit events by highlighting recent developments of relevance to the impacts anticipated in the Horizon 2020 programme themes.
The key aim of EGS2014 is to promote a standards-based and systematic operationalization of gender in research and innovation process as a core quality condition in study design, research content, and processes, in order to foster smarter, sustainable, and effective European science endeavour.
• Expert review of the latest approaches for conducting gender sensitive research and innovation,
• Recommendations for improving research practice through the attention to the role of gender specified in Horizon 2020 under Article 15, which states that: “Horizon 2020 shall ensure the effective promotion of gender equality and the gender dimension in research and innovation content”
• Defining a standard-based approach for integration of the gender dimension in research and innovation,
• including maximising its cross-cutting role.
The Programme includes contributions from:
• DG Joint Research Centre (JRC), European Commission • DG Research and Innovation (DG RTD), European Commission • Cabinet of Commissioner Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, Research, Innovation and Science, European Commission • Elsevier, USA • European Research Council (ERC) scientific Council • Fraunhofer Gesellschaft, Germany • Gendered Innovations in Science, Health & Medicine, Engineering, and Environment project, EU • Karolinska Institutet, Sweden • University of Louvien, Belgium • National Science Foundation (NSF), USA • National Research Council of Italy (CNR), Ital • Technical University Berlin, Germany • Netherlands Institute for Advanced Studies • Norway's Gender Balance in Research Committee • Rutgers University-Newark, USA • VU University Amsterdam - Amsterdam Center for Career Research, The Netherlands • University of Cambridge, UK • University of Tromso, Norway • Wellcome Trust, UK • Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB), Germany