The Gender Summit Team is excited to be presenting the GS9 in Brussels and promises an event that will be inspiring and insightful.None of our Summits would have been possible without the help of the many amazing volunteers who join our team each year.
In 2016, we would again like to give a select number of dedicated and passionate people the opportunity to work with us on the Gender Summit Europe and experience all aspects of this high-level European event from the inside and for free.
As a Gender Summit Volunteer Team Member you’ll:
- FREE admittance to Conference sessions when not on shift
- Receive a membership in the Gender Summit Community for FREE
- Experience an international summit behind the scenes
- Network with like-minded colleagues
- Be invited to the exclusive Gender Summit Dinner
- Get a reference letter for your CV
- Looking for experience in event management?
- Interested in EU policy or gender matters?
- Friendly, enthusiastic and able to take initiative?
- Able to commit to working an entire volunteer shift of 8+ hours?
- Strong team player who can also work with minimal supervision?
- A minimum of 18 years of age and a citizen of the EU?
- read the volunteer information thoroughly, including opportunities available, time commitments and skills needed for each position
- choose your preferred volunteer role(s) along with days and times you are available on the application form
- fill out the volunteer application form by 14 September 2016
Volunteer Opportunities & Requirements
Assist with registration desk set-up/ teardown. Greet delegates as they arrive and assist with delegate questions; Verify photo ID and conference confirmation. Hand out delegate registration kits, name badges and any additional information.
Welcome Speakers and escort them to the speaker lounge. Collect and check presentations, load presentations onto the correct computer. Help with speaker briefing and support presenters with any needs. Monitor speaker arrival and ensure a smooth presentation schedule.
Admit delegates to the session by checking their name badges to verify that the delegate is registered. Monitor the room during sessions and support the speakers and presenters with their final setup when necessary. Assist during question times. Assist with light moves of room equipment where needed.
Welcome Gender Summit partners and exhibitors, show them to their exhibition space and provide assistance with set-up. Help with arranging banners, materials; set-up/ move chairs and tables if necessary. Put up, change and take down signage.
Welcome press delegates and assist with questions. Manage interview schedule and coordinate interviews. Answer additional questions and support press queries.
Monitor sign-in/sign-out of volunteers and distribute volunteer name badges and volunteer kit. Answer questions, provide directions and instructions, check schedules and re-assign shifts. Manage no-shows and notify team leadersin case of shortages.
Requirements for all Roles
- speak English fluently and confidently
- a service-minded, professional attitude and demeanour
- a professional and presentable appearance
- be able and willing to support your colleagues as and where needed
- be familiar with the programme, session times and conference rooms
- be prepared to provide coverage in other areas if necessary
- assist during set-up and/or tear-down (packing, unpacking and moving equipment; physical lifting will be involved)
- basic knowledge of computers
- be 18 years of age or older
- Be available for 5 - 9 hours at a time for three days totaling between 15-20 hours over the course of the event. You must volunteer for a minimum of 15 hours over at least 2 days (3 shifts)
- Work the entire duration of each assigned shift
- Read and understand the Pre-Summit Information Package (to be sent out 1-2 weeks before event). This will give you an overview of the conference and will help you in your role
- Sign the Volunteer Commitment Waiver
- Attend an on-site Volunteer Welcome Session. This will give you an overview of the conference and will help you in your role. It is also a good time to ask any questions you may have. Details about the Information Session will be sent in your confirmation letter approximately 1-2 weeks after your application is processed.
- You do not have to be a gender or conference professional to volunteer. Friends and enthusiasts are all welcome.
- Once you have submitted you application online, you will receive a confirmation email that your application has been received
- All applications will be processed on a first come, first serve basis. Once your application has been processed, you will receive a shift confirmation via email
- If for any reason you need to cancel your commitment to volunteer at the Conference, please send an email directly to Benita Lipps at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and reason for your cancellation. Please provide a minimum of two weeks’ notice.
Volunteers will receive a per diem to support their participation and any expenses they may incur. We will provide food and drinks onsite; the venue is also located close to several shops and food vendors. Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and accommodation.
If you are selected as a volunteer and you in turn agree to join the Gender Summit team, we will ask you for a valid credit card in order to hold your volunteer position. Should you attend and not fulfil your commitment, or not show up without cancelling your participation at least 10 days before the Gender Summit starting date, you will be charged the regular student, non-profit, or standard fee, based on your status. The Volunteer Coordinator will notify you before any action is taken.